Monday, January 6, 2014

Artificial Intelligence and the Bible: Message to Sardis, Part II

Part I, II

Abstract

In Part I, I wrote that I get my understanding of intelligence and the brain (see Secrets of the Holy Grail) from ancient Biblical metaphorical texts that are thousands of years old. In my opinion, the message to the church of Sardis in the book of Revelation is a symbolic description of perceptual learning and attention in the brain's sequence memory. Below, I continue with my interpretation of the rest of the Sardis chapter.

Be advised that this is my current best interpretation of the texts and my understanding of the metaphors may change in the future, although not by much. This is a work in progress but I have come a long way. However, it is easy to get lost in minutiae and miss important revelations. I welcome any criticism or suggestion that will help improve this work.

Message to the Church of Sardis
Revelation 3:1-6
1 These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.
2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.
3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.
5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Commentary (continued)

4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments;

The dirty garments metaphor is a recurring theme. We will see it again in the Joshua chapter of the book of Zechariah. It symbolizes the fact that sequences are rarely perfect. Most of the time, a sequence will have many missing pattern signals. So how can the brain learn sequences if they are imperfect? The answer is that they are not always imperfect. At any one time, a few are indeed perfect. This is what is meant by "You have a few names". Note here every sequence is given a name. This is an important metaphor because it occurs in several other passages. Having a name implies that every sequence has a unique identity/meaning and represents a unique transformation in the sensory space.

and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.

As we shall see in the Joshua chapter and elsewhere, 'walking' symbolizes motor output. What this means is that sequences can send signals to motor neurons which act on the environment. In future articles, I will explain how motor learning is accomplished when I take up the messages to Pergamos and Thyatira.

5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life;

This is a powerful verse. In order for a sequence to overcome, it must first achieve perfection. Then the new connections must be strengthened (see Part I) through repetition until it becomes permanent (i.e., inscribed in the book of life). The strange thing is that the texts do not say how many times the connections in a sequence should be strengthened before they can become permanent.

but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

This is a direct reference to the Joshua chapter in the book of Zechariah. In it, Joshua, who represents a seven-node sequence, is said to be standing before the angel of God wearing filthy garments.

6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

This sentence is repeated at the end of each of the seven messages. I think it is a way of saying that the meaning of the metaphors is not something anybody can decode by just looking at the texts and venturing a guess. It takes diligent study and research. I have seen many interpretations of the seven churches and they all fall short. Most are insulting to God's intelligence.

Coming Up

Joshua the high priest is the topic of my next article in this series. It will get a little more interesting as we move along.

See Also:

Secrets of the Holy Grail

No comments: