Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hiatus

Taking a Break

I'm sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. I am afraid that I must take a prolonged break from my research in order to properly care for my wife who suffers from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a neurodegenerative disease. The good news is that her health is continuing to improve, slowly but steadily. Lately, there has been excellent progress in figuring out what is causing the disease and what can be done to stop its progression and cure it once and for all.

Hang in there. It is not over until it's over.

5 comments:

ToB said...

Best wishes for health and strength.

jeanpaul said...

Good to hear from you again, all the best to you and your wife.

jeanpaul said...

Hi louis, I was just wondering how you and your wife are doing?

We haven't heard from you in a while and I hope all is well.

Louis Savain said...

ToB and jeanpaul, thanks for the kind words. My wife's disease has been stable for the last six months. The goal is for her to stay alive until an effective cure is found. On this front, an Israeli company called Brainstorm Therapeutics claims to have perfected a stem cell therapy that seems to work spectacularly. However, it takes years for a new therapy to be approved by the FDA. A treatment can cost several tens of thousands of dollars and unless it is approved, insurance will not pay for it.

Lately, I've been using the little spare time that I have to continue with my speech recognition research. One thing that bothers me about current speech recognition technology is that there is an annoying lapse between the spoken words and the recognizer's response. It seems that the recognition system must wait for a pause before it can even begin to analyze the recorded speech. Humans do not do that. Usually, we know what is been said even before the speaker has finished saying it. The "analysis" is almost instantaneous in the human brain. I think I know how this can be done in a computer program.

Stay tuned.

Paskal_07 said...

Good blog. Good luck to you, Louis.