Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rebel Speech Update, September 11, 2011

Breakthrough

All right. This is going to be short because I don't want to tip my hand. Right now, I'm both angry and excited at the same time. I'm angry at myself for not being true to my own convictions regarding the underlying simplicity of the brain. I have always strongly believed that the principles that govern the functioning of the brain are orders of magnitude simpler than almost everybody in the AI business would be willing to believe. Yesterday, while writing code for Rebel Speech, it occurred to me that my approach was way too complicated to be the correct one. I reasoned that one or more of my assumptions had to be wrong. I decided to review my understanding of the sensory cortex and something amazing happened. It was almost as if the scales fell off my eyes and I was able to see clearly for the first time. I suddenly realized that sensory learning in the tree of knowledge (TOK) is simple almost to the point of absurdity. I am laughing with excitement as I write this post.

Two things triggered this epiphany in my mind. The first was my growing realization that the ancient Biblical metaphorical texts about the brain (yes, I am a Christian and I believe that the Bible uses clever metaphors to explain the organization and working of the brain) did not support part of my current design for Rebel Cortex. I was forcing some of the metaphors to fit my own erroneous understanding of certain brain functions rather than the other way around. I could kick myself in the ass for having been so dumb, I swear. The second was my inability to explain a couple of bewildering results (see previous post) I was getting from my recent experiments with the Rebel Speech program.

Coming Up

I cannot reveal the full nature of my breakthrough at this time. All I can say is that you can expect a working Rebel Speech demo program within a month or two, time permitting. Hang in there.

See Also:

Rebel Speech Recognition
Rebel Cortex
Invariant Visual Recognition, Patterns and Sequences
Rebel Cortex: Temporal Learning in the Tree of Knowledge

No comments: