Monday, July 4, 2011

Rebel Cortex

My New AI Project

I started a new AI research project. It's called Rebel Cortex (pdf). After much consideration, I decided that the best way to demonstrate my intelligence hypothesis (and raise some cash) is to implement a visual recognition program. Don't worry; I will not abandon my old computer chess project. It's just that I noticed that several companies are coming out with sophisticated visual recognition products while new Silicon Valley startups (e.g., Vicarious Systems, Inc.) with ambitious AI programs are being funded. I think I can do better. I think I can design a visual recognition system that will blow everybody else out of the water.

I strongly disagree with the notion held by researchers like Dileep George and others, that the solution to human-level visual recognition requires a mathematical model of the cortex. I think that mathematics is a false god, especially in brain research, because it explains nothing. It only confuses. But then again, I got my own unconventional source of knowledge about the brain that mainstream researchers like Dr. George would not touch with a ten-foot pole. In my opinion, what we have here is a race to see who will be the first to crack the AI nut. May the best approach win.

Rebel Cortex will be unlike any other visual recognition system out there. For starters, it will include a circular retina and an integrated motor cortex. Please read the preliminary design document (pdf) for Rebel Cortex and write to me to let me know if you're interested in participating in this project and in what capacity. The document is not yet completed but there is enough to give one an idea of where I am going with this project.

PS. I plan to start a new discussion forum under the same name in a few days. Keep an eye on this blog for periodic updates.

See Also:

Missing Pieces in Numenta's Memory Model
A Fundamental Flaw in Numenta's HTM Design
Invariant Visual Recognition, Patterns and Sequences

No comments: