Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Cherubim Model of Elementary Particles, Part III

Part I, II, III, IV, V, VI

Abstract

To recap, the Cherubim model posits that an electron is a composite particle. Each of its four elementary constituents (cherubim) carries 1/4 of the electron's charge and mass. In addition, the model calls for the mass energy of a cherub to be associated with one of the three absolute spatial dimensions. I had planned to explain in this post why the electron is composed of four sub-particles and not 2, 3, 5 or more. I decided instead to leave that for an upcoming post. In this post, I would like to talk about a problem that has been bothering me for some time: there is something about my current wing hypothesis that does not fly. But first, allow me to bring your attention to an obscure but relevant branch of physics known as the Fractional Quantum Hall Effect.

The Quarter Electron

I remember reading years ago about a peculiar phenomenon in experimental physics called the Fractional Quantum Hall Effect. It seems that, when electrons are confined to a two-dimensional plane, fractional charges are detected. A few days ago, in light of the developing Cherubim particle model which calls for the existence of particles with 1/4 of the electron's charge, I decided to do a search on the web to find out what's been happening in the field. To my surprise, I came across several published papers that mention the finding of 1/4 electric charges. The following excerpt from an April 2008 Nature article (paid subscription is required to access the full article), in particular, caught my attention:
Debut of the quarter electron

Eduardo Fradkin

A particle-like object with a quarter of an electron's charge is the latest find in a hotbed of quantum-physical experimentation, the fractional quantum Hall fluid. Its significance is more than esoteric.

On page 829 of this issue, Dolev et al.1 report the detection of vortices in a fluid of electrons confined to two dimensions within a semiconductor structure that carry just 1/4 of the electron's charge. These 'quasiparticles' are an exciting find: according to theoretical predictions, their collective behaviour should be described by an unusual type of particle statistics known as non-abelian statistics.
Needless to say, I find the whole thing fascinating. I mean, this seems to be a rather strong confirmation of the Cherubim Model, doesn't it? I think it is. Certainly, I disagree with the author's use of the term 'quasiparticles', although I understand why he chose to use it. According to the Standard Model (the one that is accepted by all mainstream physicists), the electron is an elementary or non-composite point particle and the electric charge is the elementary charge. So the author cannot be seen as directly contradicting the accepted model. Physicists are not a very gutsy bunch, that's for sure.

One of the things that piqued my interest is the fact that the fractional Hall effect is observed only if the electrons in question are confined to a very thin two-dimensional plane or layer. It is interesting because, according to the Cherubim Model, a cherub can only move in a 2-D plane. I'll explain what I mean by this in my next post.

The Problem with my Wing Hypothesis

The four absolute dimensions of the universe are symbolized in the ancient texts by the lion, man, bull and eagle metaphors. I have always assumed that every intrinsic particle property must be directly associated with one or more of the four dimensions. For examples, faces, bodies and feet are explicitly described in the ancient texts as having a dimensional nature. The only exception seems to be the wings. Nowhere in the texts are the wings directly associated with any of the four dimensions. In other words, there is no mention of either a bull or lion wing. Certainly, an eagle or a bull faced seraph (lattice particle) can have wings but nowhere do the texts imply that a wing is limited to motion in any particular dimension. This is very strange because the wording of the metaphors is very precise. At first, I ignored the apparent incongruity but I recently had to face it head on, so to speak. Here is the problem:
I assumed that, even though a seraph can only use one pair of wings at a time for motion, by switching from one pair to another on the fly, it could move in any 3-D direction because it has three pairs of wings in total to play with.
Isaiah 6:2
Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
I guessed that this meant that there were three positive and three negative wings or one pair for each dimension or direction. This seemed fine as far as seraphim were concerned but what about cherubim? These creatures are described in the book of Ezekiel as having only two pairs of wings! Since we observe that electrons (which consist of cherubim) can move in any spatial direction, this would imply that cherubim must have six wings as well. Ezekiel disagreed. At this point, I can only conclude that my old wing hypothesis no longer has a leg to stand on. This is distressing.

Upcoming

There is no question that my current wing hypothesis must be revised or replaced entirely. This is the subject of my next post in this series.

No comments: