Sunday, July 20, 2008

Computer Academics Can Kiss My Ass

[I just wrote a reply to a comment made by J.L. at the end of Parallel Computing: Why the Future Is Non-Algorithmic. I thought I would reproduce it as a regular post because it spells out my attitude toward the computer science community.]

[J.L.] (does not want his name to appear on my blog)
Several people have already pointed this out on Slashdot, but you should look at the functional languages and the GHC in particular. It's quite well at automatically parallelizing your code. And, yes, academics have known of this one too since the 60's (most have probably preferred functional programming as it is more concise and elegant--closer to the mathematics). But, industry has not been listening to them either.

[Me]
Wow! This is a good one. You have got to be kidding me. For your information, industry does nothing but listen to academia. Guess who is in charge of the parallel programming research groups at Stanford, Berkeley, the University of Chicago and all the other labs in academia that are being sponsored by industry? You guessed it, computer academics. Guess where all the technology leaders in industry came from? You got it again, straight from academia.

Computer scientists have been pushing functional programming for years. Erlang is already accepted at Ericsson in Sweden as God's gift to humanity. The only reason that functional programming has not taken off like a rocket is because reality keeps kicking it in the ass.

When you get a chance, go take a look at the work being conducted at Stanford's Pervasive Parallelism Lab. Download their PDF doc. What do you see? You see academics talking about tens of thousands of threads, that's what. You see the cream of the crop of computer science cluelessly talking about domain specific languages (DSL) as the answer to the parallel programming problem.

So don't give me the shit that the industry is not listening to you. This is precisely why the industry is in a crisis. They do nothing but listen to you people.

PS. I am tired of people telling me that I am alienating the very people that I am trying to impress. The last thing I want to do is impress a bunch of ivory tower academics who are convinced that they are the smartest people in the universe and condescendingly talk down to the lay public, the same public who ultimately pays their salaries. To hell with the computer science community. They are the problem, not the solution. They can kiss my ass. How about that? Hey, I like the sound of that. I think I might turn it into a regular post, just for fun.

1 comment:

Paul Mohr said...

Great, I agree. I know that the boards of the electronic and software companies are a place where this is done also. In this way they influence what will be done in a larger sense. There are so many skilled people who aren't ordained and I always enjoy hearing about it. I plod away in my own little corner of anarchy to try and help where I can, it is better to have more approaches to a problem, in case the selection method is flawed.