Wednesday, September 26, 2007

COSA and Macromedia Director MX 2004™

Religious Fervor

My motivation in getting the COSA software model adopted by the computer industry is due mainly to my interest in artificial intelligence. We are going to need fast, reliable, easy to program and powerful parallel computers for the coming AI revolution. The current crop of multicore CPUs leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. We need auto-scalable, self-balancing CPUs that support fine-grain (no more coarse-grain, thread-based CPUs, please) parallelism using an MIMD execution model. I had always thought that my arguments in favor of adopting a non-algorithmic software model (and a new CPU architecture to support the new model) would be enough to galvanize interest in the developer community. I was wrong. Sure, a handful of people write to tell me that they agree with me but the groundswell of enthusiasm that I had hoped for did not materialize. It turns out that I had badly underestimated the religious fervor of the attachment that computer geeks feel vis-à-vis the current paradigm, especially vis-à-vis their favorite programming languages.

I Don't Like Computer Geeks (LOL)

This blog and Project COSA do generate a lot of interest from around the world but as soon as the loud atheist majority within the computer geek community finds out about my religious beliefs (in this regard, my position is simple: if my religious beliefs bother you, then don't read my blog, goddamnit; it's not meant for you) and about my views on the rampant crackpottery that I see in the physics community (“chicken feather voodoo physics” is one my favorite putdowns, LOL), they use it to attack me personally and brand me as some sort of religious nut or a crank. Not that I care, mind you (the assholes do not put food on my table, thank God), but it only serves to slow the progress of Project COSA. Many of my readers write to advise me that I should write a prototype COSA Editor but, frankly, I am too busy with my AI project to spend much time writing code in order to convince a bunch of computer geeks of the soundness of the COSA model. First, I don’t think that will do it and second, I have a low opinion of computer geeks in general. I want clear thinking software and hardware professionals on my side, not a bunch of know-it-all grownup nerds who get all excited about Star-Trek physics crap like multiple universes, brain uploads and time travel through wormholes.

Macromedia Director

With this in mind, I am investigating whether or not Adobe’s Macromedia Director is a good tool with which to quickly develop a COSA Development Studio (CDS). My idea is to use Director to build the user interface and app generator and use C++ or C# to create a small and fast COSA kernal/virtual machine to run the apps. Again, I can’t spend much time on this. I am hoping that I'll be able to start the project and then release it so that others can continue to work on it. I’m going to play with Director for a few days. I’ll let you know what I think. Later.

No comments: