Sunday, August 19, 2007

Discovering Statistical Pairs for Motor Sequencing

How does one design a mechanism to discover consecutive motor signals? Believe it or not, this is what I have been thinking about the last several days and what has been holding up my progress with Animal. It is not as easy as it looks. For examples, here are a couple of issues that I am currently struggling with:
  • A sequence pair (AB) may sometimes run backwards (BA). Does this mean that every pair must have an opposite?
  • Consider the two consecutive pairs AB and BC. Should AC be considered a consecutive pair as well? A and C are certainly consecutive but from the point of view of generating motor command signals, AC seems superfluous since AB and BC can be chained to form a long sequence. However, what if signal B does not arrive sometimes, for whatever reason? Does this mean that AC should be kept as a valid pair?

The whole thing is getting too complicated for my taste. You all know me; I am a sucker for simplicity. I am currently leaning toward this solution: Create as many pairs as statistically possible and let the chaining mechanism discover which ones are viable within a motor sequence. That is to say, let the chaining mechanism eliminate the ones that induce motor conflicts. I suspect this may overwhelm the motor learning system but I’ll let you know how it all works out.

No comments: