Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Animal's Source Code

I am writing code as fast as I can. It's tedious but I have set a July 1 deadline for myself. That's when I expect Animal to be good enough for testing. I have already converted almost all the code for the chess pieces including their move logic. I am cleaning up the old code as I go along. Tomorow I will start working on the various sensors and effectors.

My initial plan was to release Animal's entire source code to the public as soon as I thought that it demonstrated a good enough ability to learn chess. And then it occurred to me that I have been slaving away on this project for many years to get to the point where I could honestly say to myself that I have a good understanding of how the brain works. Not once did I receive any support (financial or otherwise) from the general public. Sure, I have gotten a few words of encouragement here and there but, for the most part, I had to suffer the indignation and hardship of being branded a crackpot, a lunatic and a crank. It's not easy, believe me.

My point is this: Why should I release the source code to the public for nothing? I am willing to do it but I need a good reason. The way I see it, the public deserves nothing. And I'm still debating whether or not I should update the AI pages to reflect my current theory. I guess I just need to be motivated. Unless somebody out there can convince me otherwise, all the public is going to get is a binary executable. I am not sure they deserve even that. Sorry.

5 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm glad to see your renewed energy in the programming side of the project. What if you make it not about releasing the source code for nothing to an undeserving public, but about publishing your ideas in a different form in hopes of connecting with more people? Obviously that won't rule out personal attacks, but at least there's the possibility that the code can be objectively evaluated on its own merit.

While I would like to better understand the concepts of COSA, I can never quite get it from the rebelscience articles. I feel like having a pile of working code in front of me could go a long way towards illuminating your ideas.

I cannot relate to the indignation and hardship you describe. But the way I see it, you don't have much to lose. You've said before that you're not as concerned with commercial success as with getting your ideas out there. If that's still the case, release the code. Who knows who might run across it one day and want to push forward with the ideas.

Louis Savain said...

Shawn, while I do agree with you that a working COSA development tool would be tremendously benificial, I don't think that a pile of source code will help you understand COSA. If anything, I think it would make it harder. Personally, I want COSA to be free, both as in 'free beer' and as in freedom. Hopefully, I will obtain enough funds in the not too distant future to begin a SourceForge project in earnest.

As far as I'm concerned, the public can have my COSA ideas for free. In fact, I have already released them, free of charge. It has come to my knowledge that a few people are indeed working on their own private commercial COSA projects. I wish them the best.

The artificial intelligence stuff in Animal is something else, however. It is true that I have written a lot about how and where I am getting my knowledge, but these ideas are not mine to give away. I have written enough stuff to get some people very interested but not enough to allow them to take the ideas and build their own intelligent robot. That will come in due time but true AI means big money, I mean BIG money. I've got a few projects of my own that will require a shitload of cash. OK. That's all I am going to say about it for the time being.

Shawn said...

Louis, fair enough; I now realize more clearly that my thinking leading to my comment was directed at COSA, not artificial intelligence, and it makes sense that you would have more commercial interest in the AI work. Since this post is really about Animal, I'll leave it at that. I do hope your AI projects come to fruition.

Fred said...

Well I apologize for my pour english in advance (I'm french and not fluent in english).

Dear Louis,

Since I read for the first time your AI pages (long ago), you made me feel like new horizons were possibles for this planet.

I mean, you made me feel a great hope.

Obviously, I was tremendously expecting fresh news about your understanding of human's brain, but...they never came.

As far I can understand your bad feeling, I guess that, like many other "genius", well, let's call them "early understanders", you are not understood, your work is not understood, and people are not kind with you. You are a kind of "illuminated" for them.

I bet that many (silent) people like me are expecting that you never forgive your hard work, never stop your thinking and dont forget to share with them.

Why share it ? because a kind community is the solution against bad people, bad journalists and so on.

Please don't leave us alone.

Louis Savain said...

Fred wrote "Why share it ? because a kind community is the solution against bad people, bad journalists and so on".

Sorry Fred, that's not good enough. I don't fancy myself as a do-gooder who is out to save the world.